Historic Homes Walking Tour November 13, 2011

Please join us for the

Casa Verdugo was established in 1905 at the Pacific Electric Red Car line’s northern terminus where Brand Boulevard and Mountain Street intersect, Glendale’s Casa Verdugo restaurant offered both tourists and Los Angeles residents an idyllic day-trip destination.  Persuaded by Leslie C. Brand to close their popular Spanish restaurant in Los Angeles and open a similar establishment at the end-of-the-line in Glendale, the owners operated the Casa Verdugo out of an old adobe house at the top of Brand Boulevard until their lease expired in 1910.  They reopened the restaurant that same year just a few blocks away in a large Mission Revival style house at the corner of Louise and Randolph Streets where open-air dining could be enjoyed in the central courtyard, along broad verandas wrapping the exterior of the house, or under a long arbor in the side yard.  After the restaurant closed operations at that location in 1921, the house reverted to a private residence which can still be found today at the corner of Louise and Randolph looking very much as it did during the heyday of the “Case Verdugo.”