Casa Verdugo District
About Casa Verdugo
Casa Verdugo is one of the oldest and most historic neighborhoods in all of Glendale. The story of Casa Verdugo began with the extension of the Pacific Electric Railway to Mountain Street in 1904 and the establishment the following year of Glendale’s first tourist attraction – the famed Casa Verdugo restaurant–in an old adobe home built in 1865. As former ranch and orchard land was parceled and homes were built at the beginning of the 20th century, Casa Verdugo grew into an independent area with its own post office and school. It wasn’t until the late 1920s that residents of Casa Verdugo voted to annex and become part of Glendale.
The Casa Verdugo Historic District features what many believe to be the largest intact collection of Craftsman houses in Glendale as well as fine examples of Southern California's dominant architectural styles of the 1920s and 1930s when Glendale billed itself as the “Fastest Growing City in America."
Six homes in the Casa Verdugo Historic District are listed on the Glendale Register of Historic Resources, all built between 1906 and 1915.
1330 N. Louise (#40) “Elliott House”
319 E. Randolph (#51) “Hewitt-Baker House”
408 Ross (#117) “Beggs House”
1235 N. Louise (#119) “Casa Verdugo”
305 E. Randolph Street (#134) “Newton House”
1300 N. Maryland (#137) “Tatum House”